Florida Middle School Coaching Pilot
Instruction Partners and UnboundEd have partnered to help schools support rigorous daily instruction for all students. We are seeking 10 schools (5 ELA and 5 math) who want to expand their team’s capacity in the standards and build coaching skills to support instructional excellence.
This pilot is funded in part by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The total financial value of this support is $42,500. We are able to offer a subsidized price of $8,500 to the selected schools (includes one content coach, one administrator, one district representative, and one teacher leader). This will be the last year this opportunity is offered at this subsidized price from grant funding.
|August 2018||Application and selection process: Each participating school will apply to join as a school team comprised of an instructional coach, a district representative, an instructional leader/principal, and a teacher leader.|
|September 2018||Classroom walkthroughs: Instruction Partners staff will join the team in baseline walkthroughs to observe instruction together at the beginning of the year.|
|October 1-3, 2018||Standards Academy: During this three-day, intensive training experience, coaches, administrators and teacher leaders will engage in deep learning around the instructional shifts and standards in their content area.|
|December 6-7, 2018||Reconvene #1: Coaches and administrators will meet to deepen understanding of how to provide feedback and support to teachers.|
|December 2018||On-site Coaching Support: Instruction Partners staff will work with the coach using the Instructional Practice Guide as a tool to identify trends in classroom instruction. The team will observe the coach's work with teachers and provide tailored feedback.|
|January 17-18, 2019||Reconvene #2: Coaches and administrators will meet to deepen knowledge of the rigor of the standards and implications for instruction.|
|February 2019||On-site Coaching Support: Instruction Partners staff will work with the coach using the Instructional Practice Guide as a tool to identify trends in classroom instruction. The team will observe the coach's work with teachers and provide tailored feedback.|
|March 2019||Classroom Walkthroughs: Instruction Partners staff will join the team in final walkthroughs to observe instruction together at the end of the year.|
- A school leadership team that is enthusiastic about giving and receiving feedback and helping others to learn and grow
- At least 50% of students qualify for free and reduced lunch.
- A commitment from the school team (principal, coach, teacher Leader, and district representative) to attend Standards Academy on October 1-3, 2018 and for coaches to attend both two-day reconvenes.
- Each participating coach spends at least 50% of work hours on supporting teachers in grades 6-8.
You will need to gather the following information to submit in the application:
- Basic contact and demographic information about your school
- A decision to apply for one subject or two subjects (ELA, math, or both) and information about the school team members, including content coach(es), teacher leader(s), and principal
- An understanding of how this pilot will support your instructional efforts
- Contracting details if your school is selected to participate in the network
Commitment to Diversity
While all educators play an important role in giving students access to a rigorous education, teachers and leaders of color give students of color vital role models and bring critical perspective to decision making and leadership. When choosing a coach or teacher leader, consider choosing a coach or an aspiring teacher leader of color to join the cohort. The diversity of the school team should ideally meet or exceed the diversity of your student population.
- Complete the school application. After completing and submitting the application, you will have the option to return to your application and edit your responses at a later date. School applications are due by September 7, 2018.
- School applications will be reviewed by a team from Instruction Partners and UnboundEd against a rubric. The broad categories for evaluation will include:
- Overall alignment and integration of this pilot with current work of the school
- Clear and concrete plan for professional development of teachers
- Plans to utilize the teacher leader and expand their leadership opportunities
- The role of the coach and their work with teachers
- Schools will be notified of their acceptance status by September 14, 2018.