Nashville CAO Collaborative
In 2016, we launched the first CAO support network among Nashville charter networks. We met four times throughout the 2016-17 school year to deepen our expertise, discuss key elements of our academic strategy, and see each other’s schools while sharpening our vision of excellent instruction. We propose to continue this group during this school year this some modifications to the group and the format with the aim of continuing to support learning across charters in Nashville to support a community of learning about academic best practices.
Rationale for the Group
- Supporting excellent daily instruction is hard and academic leaders don’t have access to many local opportunities to talk about the “nuts and bolts” that go into improvement.
- The CAO role is incredibly complicated with few clear answers and can be lonely within a system.
- There are lessons we can learn from each other’s successes and challenges to improve outcomes for all students.
- There are strong resources out there and insights from research and practice and it is impossible to stay current while also running a school.
WHERE WE'RE GOING
We’re excited to launch the Nashville CAO Collaborative again for the 2017-18 school year, with a few tweaks to the design based on feedback from the group. Here’s what we propose this year:
- Quarterly InstructUp meetings (morning, with lunch provided); each system can bring 2 people (e.g., CAO and an instructional coach) and bring others topically as makes sense. These meetings will include topical presentations, discussions and artifact sharing on system level topics (i.e. science direction and resources, coaching approach, lessons learned from high growth schools) but we will remove the classroom observation from these quarterly meetings.
- We will do two walk through days at a local schools to observe, debrief and norm around excellent instruction in math and ELA. This can be open to any two instructional leaders it makes sense to send.
- Research round-ups by email on key topics and access to tools and resources (shared Google Drive.)
- CAO Check-ins between meetings to discuss needs, challenges and resource questions with follow up review and feedback of a key resource or artifact if desires. On call email and phone a friend help with requests for information or connections.
Meeting Dates Proposal
- Meeting #1 - November 8, 2017 - 8:30am-12:30pm CT
- Meeting #2 - December 7, 2017 - 8:30am-12:30pm CT (Register below)
- Meeting #3 - February 7, 2018 - 8:30am-12:30pm CT
- Meeting #4 - April 4, 2018 - 8:30am-12:30pm CT